Chronic railroad exposures to diesel exhaust, asbestos, creosote, welding fumes, silica sand, benzene-containing solvents and degreasers, herbicides, and secondhand smoke can lead to numerous conditions, including:
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML)
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (NHL)
- Multiple Myeloma (MM)
- Diesel Asthma
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Reactive Airway Disease (RADS)
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
We serve all railroad employees in crafts with historical exposures to toxins, including the following:
- Locomotive Engineer
- Track Department/Trackman
- Locomotive Machinist/Electrician/Pipefitter
- Car Department/Carman
- Bridges & Buildings
In proving up your railroad cancer lawsuit, Hughes Law Offices will take any unique exposures into account. For instance, we have served clients who described leaking underground fuel tanks, serving chemical plants and refineries, exposures from toxic freight, etc. We will bring all of those exposures to bear in proving up your railroad cancer case.
Class I railroads operating in Massachusetts, includes:
- CSX Transportation – CSX operates Readville Yard, Nevins Yard, North Framingham Yard, Palmer Yard, West Springfield Yard, and Worcester Yard. CSX also formerly operated Beacon Park Yard prior to its closing in 2013.
Regional railroads operating in Massachusetts, includes:
- Amtrak – Amtrak operates out of the Southampton Street Yard.
- Pan American Railways – Pan Am operates Hill Yard, East Deerfield Yard, Fitchburg Yard, Gardner Yard, Lawrence Yard, and Lowell Yard.
- Providence and Worcester Railroad – P&W operates out of Gardner yard and the Worcester Yard.
- New England Central Railroad – NECR operates out of Palmer Yard.
Illustrative Massachusetts railroad verdicts & settlements:
- $6,600,000 settlement – Railroad mechanic worked for Penn Central and later Amtrak at the Southampton Street Yard in Boston. During his employment, he worked with asbestos-containing pipe insulation, wall insulation, and brake shoes. As a result of his chronic asbestos exposure, he developed malignant pleural mesothelioma, a form of lung cancer closely associated with asbestos exposure. (Moneypenny v. Metropolitan Life Insurance, et al)
Hughes Law Offices is providing case histories to inform visitors about actual case fact patterns and rulings in your area. Unless specifically noted, the cases summarized herein were not handled by attorneys at Hughes Law Offices.
If you suspect that your illness or that of a loved one could be related to railroad workplace exposures, please call 312-877-5588 to speak to a railroad cancer attorney.